- A single plastic bag can take up to 500 years to break down?
- One million plastic bags are in use a cross the world every minute?
- Plastic bags are the second most common type of rubbish found in oceans? (Second only to cigarette ends if you are interested!)
Every square mile of ocean has about 40,000 bits of plastic floating about in it! (Kinda puts you off swimming in the sea!) that's a total of 80 million tonnes of plastic!
Believe it or not but it's been nearly six months since the 5p charge for single use bags was brought into play in Scotland!
Living without plastic bags is something we should all aspire to and will lessen the need for producing these bags which are made from fossil fuel based plastics & chemicals, not to mention keeping the land and seas cleaner!
But after retailers showing a 90% reduction in the first month of the charge are we beginning to see the numbers being used rise again?
Hands up, and be honest, who still struggles to remember their own bags? (Yes I can see you out there blushing slightly!) Even with the best of intentions we all forget sometimes! So here's some handy hints to jog your memory and save you cash when you are at the shops!
- Do you do your shopping on your lunch break?
- Are you a driver?
- Are you a cyclist?
- Carry a handbag or take a bag to work?
- What about in the house?
- Have you got kids?
And to make your life even easier-
REMEMBER TO PUT THEM BACK IN ALL OF THESE PLACES AFTER YOU HAVE TAKEN THE SHOPPING OUT OF THEM!
There is also another issue though... should paper bags be charged for or encouraged?